Major 5 types of Shoulder Joint Arthritis:
The major 5 types of shoulder joint arthritis are following below:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Septic Arthritis
Osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint:
Shoulder joint osteoarthritis is a most common type of shoulder joint inflammatory disease. Osteoarthritis is often seen in elderly patients. Osteoarthritis causes degeneration of shoulder joint articulating cartilage, rim of glenoid cavity and ligaments. Cartilage will slowly get warmed out. Eventually lack of cartilage results in joint with bone on bone. Bone squrs are observed over humerus within the joint and adjacent to capsule outside the joint. Bone squrs are bony projections also known as osteophytes. Osteophytes cause irritation of synovial membrane, capsule and ligament resulting in severe pain. Shoulder joint osteoarthritis is associated with irritation of inflammation of ligaments and rim of the glanoid cavity. Shoulder joint O.A is associated with tendon inflammation and cause rotator cuff pain.
Shoulder joint is very painful to touch and movements. Pain does respond to anti inflammatory medication. Pain is continuous in advance disease and may need advance surgical treatment. Joint movements are restricted during initial phase and later in a advance stage. Patient is unable to carry weights and disease arm and do movements beyond 20 to 25 degree rotation.
Rheumatoid Arthritis (R.A) of the shoulder joint:
Major 5 types of shoulder joint arthritis 2nd type is Rheumatoid arthritis (R.A). Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory disease of shoulder joint, soft tissue inflammation of capsule and synovial membrane cause thickening of capsule and synovial membrane as well as severe pain. Inflamed synovial membrane secretes excessive amount of synovial fluid resulting in joint effusion and swelling.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (R.A) causes severe pain and often pain associated with mild fever. Pain is secondary to damaged cartilage and irritation of ligaments and tendon.
- In advance stage of R.A, Shoulder joint often partially dislocated during rapid movement or rotation of shoulder joint.
- Subluxation is partial dislocation. Subluxation is either anterior or posterior. Subluxation cause severe sudden pain, which last for several hours, pain does not respond to NSAIDs, and opioids.
Gout Arthritis of the shoulder joint:
- Normal shoulder joint movement is painless. Shoulder joint of patient suffering with gout is extremely painful. Pain may last on and often for few days.
- Gout is cause by inflammation resulting from uric acid deposits over synovial membrane, cartilage and rim of glenoid cavity.
- Uric acid causes inflammation of synovium, articular cartilage and rim of glenoid shocket.
- Pain is speared over front and back of the shoulder joint. Palpation, pressure and movement of shoulder joint resulting in severe pain.
- Tendon painful swelling is observed over shoulder joint. Joint movements like as flexion, extension and rotation are extremely painful during the active period of gout.
Pseudogout of the shoulder joint:
- Pseudogout is rare and is a painful condition of the shoulder joint. Symptoms are often similar to gout.
- Calcium pyrophosphate crystals are widely spread in shoulder joint. Crystals are deposited over articulating cartilage, synovial membrane, joint capsule and glenoid cavity.
- Pseudogout Calcium pyrophosphate crystals are widely spread in shoulder joint. Crystals are deposited over the articulating cartilage, synovial membrane, joint capsule and glenoid cavity.
- Calcium pyrophosphate crystals cause inflammation of cartilage and synovial membrane. Inflammation follows swelling of cartilage and synovial membrane as well as increase secretion of synovial fluid.
- Pseudogout is diagnosed following lab study of synovial fluid. Crystals of calcium pyrophosphate are lineal long. Crystals are also observed in shoulder joint capsule and the edge of the humerous within the shoulder joint.
- Pain caused by pseudogout is often spread over front and back of shoulder joint. Pain is severe in the morning and gets loss painful later in the day.
- Shoulder joint movement is restricted in the morning. Pain becomes less severe as the joint movements are improving during the day. Swelling observed over front and back of the shoulder joint. Swelling is soft mostly caused by increased secretion of synovial fluid within the joint.
Septic Arthritis of the shoulder joint:
- Septic arthritis is caused by inflammation of shoulder joint resulting in collection of abscess (Pus) within the joint.
- Septic arthritis can also be caused by penetrating injury or infection from other source spreads to joint through blood.
- Joint movements are painful. Joint capsule is inflamed. Movement of shoulder joint irritates. Inflamed joint capsule comes sever intractable pain.
- Skin over the joint is red and hot indicates underling infection and inflammation. Patient guards and protect the shoulder joint. Shoulder joint muscle are contracted or in spasm to prevent shoulder joint movement, which result in severe pain.
Top 5 types of shoulder joint arthritis if you suffering from any kind of shoulder joint arthritis contact us.